Internet in Tunisia
Arriving on the beach, many tourists do not disconnect from the usual life, but remain online - communicate in social networks, publish their photos in Instagram, and some do not even break away from work.
For all this you need to connect to the Internet at a good speed, and it is advisable not to pay for it at exorbitant price. In this article we will tell you about the prices for the Internet in roaming and with local telecom operators in Tunisia.
Important! Disconnect the Internet on your smartphone
Many tourists are in Tunisia (and not only in Tunisia) in an unpleasant situation. After landing at the airport on the smartphone includes international roaming and the Internet in roaming. Naturally, the tariffs are predatory. Applications on the smartphone start downloading updates, the account is quickly reset to zero.
The most horrible thing is that tourists learn about this already after the fact, when they receive an SMS message about the absence of money on the account or try to call home, but there is already no money on the account.
Our advice! Even before landing, turn off the smartphone data transfer over the mobile network. On some sites it is recommended to remove the SIM card from the smartphone altogether, but this is unnecessary and smacks of paranoia.
Important! Internet in roaming is limited in speed
In 2017, all Russian mobile operators have options for unlimited Internet in roaming. At first glance, such proposals look insanely attractive.
In fact, only the first 100 megabytes within these packages are provided at full speed, and then shaping is turned on - the connection speed limitation. The speed is limited to 64 or 128 kilobytes per second. About YouTube or online-cinemas can forget, the page VKontakte will wait about a minute.
In addition, these options are very expensive - from 350 rubles per day. For this money on a local Tunisian SIM-card you can buy 2 gigabytes of Internet traffic, which for a day will suffice "for eyes" and in social networks to sit, and work with mail, and update applications, and cartoons on YouTube in the evening to see the child.
Internet in roaming - crying or laughing?
Internet prices in roaming are terrible for Russian operators. However, the prices for calls are not any better, we told about this in the article " How to make cheap calls from Tunisia to Russia ".
At MTS . 40 kilobytes of traffic costs 30 rubles.
You can turn on the option "BIT abroad", and unlimited Internet will cost 450 rubles per day. Another option "Zabugorishche" in Tunisia does not work.
Beeline . By default, the client connects the service "The most profitable roaming" - every megabyte of the Internet will cost 90 rubles.
The option "Unlimited Internet" gives the Internet without restrictions for 350 rubles per day.
Megaphone . Every 100 kilobytes of traffic cost 92 rubles.
The option "World of Online" gives unlimited Internet for 600 rubles per day. The option "Vacation-Online" in Tunisia does not work.
At Tele2 . Mobile Internet in Tunisia is unavailable (state for 2017). Probably, it's even for the best, there will be more money on the mobile phone account.
WiFi in hotels
In the vast majority of beach hotels in Tunisia there is free WiFi for guests. But using it is a real lottery. It happens that WiFi only works within the hotel lobby, and it happens that it is good to be caught in all rooms. The speed is good, but it's terrible.
It all depends on the particular hotel. The way to find out the situation is only one - it is to read the reviews of tourists about the hotel.
In most cases, you can use WiFi at the hotel, but you will have to forget about: calls via Skype, WhatsApp or Viber, watching videos on YouTube or social networks, publishing large photos in Instagram or transferring files.
Important advice! If online is important, then do not count on WiFi in the hotel, but plan to buy in Tunisia local SIM and mobile Internet through it.
Internet with Tunisian SIM
In Tunisia there are three mobile operators: Tunisia Telecom, Ooredoo Tunisia and Orange Tunisia. You can buy a SIM card from any of these operators, but the easiest way is to find the Ooredoo SIM.
Read our detailed review " How to buy a SIM card in Tunisia ".
Having bought a SIM card Ooredoo, the tourist receives cheap SMS and calls to his homeland, as well as a choice of several dozen tariffs, which we'll talk about later in this article. On average, the mobile Internet in Tunisia costs about the same as in Russia.
In the use of the Tunisian mobile Internet there are features. First, the Internet is turned off by default. You need to enable it and select a specific package. There is no simply killing the payment for Ooredoo. The second is the astonishing variety of tariffs and options for the operator Ooredoo. Tourist to understand them is difficult, but we will help.
Internet in Tunisia - interesting facts and figures
The Internet in Tunisia is well developed.
- 39.1% of Tunisians use the Internet, according to this indicator Tunisia among African countries is second only to Morocco (51%). For comparison, in Russia this figure is about 58%;
- Despite the small population of the country (11.5 million people), Tunisia ranks 10th in Africa in terms of the number of Internet users - 4.4 million;
- The most popular Internet browser in Tunisia is Google Chrome, it was chosen by 62% of users;
- Under President Ben Ali, the Internet censorship system was introduced. After the revolution of 2011, the system was forgotten, and in 2013 it was officially canceled. Now there is no censorship of the Internet in Tunisia, there was only a book on this subject, in the photo on the left, click on the photo to enlarge;
- The most popular search engine in Tunisia is Google, it is used by 97% of users;
- The three most visited websites in Tunisia are Google, YouTube and Facebook;
- Social network Facebook is very popular among Tunisians, it is constantly used by 3.5 million people in the country.
FLEXI rates are the most convenient for tourists
Few tourists come to Tunisia for more than two weeks. In the Ooredoo range there are several tariffs with payment for the day, a few days or a week. These tariffs are called FLEXI.
List of tariffs:
- FLEXI 1J MINI. It works 1 day, includes 125 megabytes of traffic, costs 0,500 Tunisian dinars;
- FLEXI 1J. Works 1 day, includes 250 megabytes of traffic, costs 1 dinar;
- FLEXI 2J. Works 2 days, includes 400 megabytes of traffic, costs 2 dinars;
- FLEXI 7J. Works 7 days, includes 1 gigabyte of traffic, costs 5 dinars;
- FLEXI 30J. It works 30 days, includes 2 gigabytes of traffic, costs 10 dinars;
- BIG FLEXI. It works 30 days, includes 5 gigabytes of traffic, costs 20 dinars;
The current course of the Tunisian dinar, see our article "The currency of Tunisia ".
- FLEXI 1J MINI tariff is prolonged every day, and the remaining tariffs must be renewed manually;
- FLEXI 1J and FLEXI 1J MINI count down to midnight, the remaining tariffs count 48, 168 or 720 hours from the moment of activation;
- If the traffic ran out prematurely, then simply activate the package again, so buy yourself extra gigabytes;
- Replenish the account better payment cards, which are sold in Tunisia everywhere. In detail, we talked about this in the article " How to buy a SIM card in Tunisia ".
How to connect - instruction
You already bought SIM Ooredoo operator, chose one of the FLEXI packages for yourself and replenished the account with the required amount. Then we do this:
1. We dial * 124 #;
2. In the menu choose item 2 - Forfaits Flexi;
3. If you need FLEXI 1J MINI, then select item 1 - Flexi Renouvelables. If you need FLEXI 1J or others (not MINI), then select item 2 - Flexi Non Renouvelables;
4. Choose the desired package - for 1, 2, 7 or 30 days;
5. The system will tell you about the conditions and prices and will require confirmation of the action. You need to select item 1 - Oui (yes);
6. Mobile Internet works. See the instructions in the pictures below.
Other rates for mobile internet from Ooredoo
A series of packages FLEXI + (COMFORT, XTRA and SUSUPER FLEXIPER) gives 7 or 10 GB for 30 days or 12.5 GB for 60 days. The savings are insignificant, for tourists it is inconvenient. Prices: 30, 45 and 55 dinars.
The Connect tariff is ideal if you do not need a lot of traffic. Pay 6 dinars, get internet for a whole month, 1 gigabyte of traffic.
A series of Facebook packages (Facebook 7 jours, Facebook and Facebook Plus) are very cheap tariffs with access to Facebook. For tourists, there is not much benefit in them.
The option "internet Combine" is very profitable, but specific. You get 800 mb of mobile internet for 2 dinars. You can use it only once a month and only after you spend more than 7 dinars on calls and SMS. At this point, SMS-notification will come, that the option "internet Combine" is available. After that, SMS can be connected to the menu by the number * 124 #.
"Internet" packages are monthly tariffs. The tariff "START" is 2 gigas for 10 dinars. Tariff "EVOLUTION" - 5 gigs for 20 dinars. Tariff "START +" - 3 gigs for 15 dinars. Tariff "EVOLUTION +" - 7 gigs for 25 dinars. The "CONFORT EVOLUTION" tariff is 10 gigs per 30 dinars. The tariff "XTRA EVOLUTION" - 14 gigs for 40 dinars. Tariff "SUSUPER EVOLUTION" - 22 gig for 60 dinars.
When the traffic ends, you can buy more at a price of 5 dinars per gigabyte. Together with gigabytes, the user receives packages of minutes, which for tourists of great value do not have. These tariffs are good, if you know your needs well, you can immediately buy yourself the right amount of traffic.
Have a successful connection in Tunisia, and read our useful and interesting articles for tourists about this country ( links below ).
Read about Tunisia on our website