Sachet Metro Subway
In the area of Sahel in Tunisia the most modern railway branch is laid, it is called "Subway Sahel". This fully electrified line is the pride of the Tunisian railways . We can confidently call it the most convenient and useful type of public transport for tourists. On this page, we will tell you about Metro Sahel in detail.
Where and where to get to
The branch of the Subway Sahel is laid between the cities of Sousse , Monastir , Moknin and Mahdia . The total length of the line is 73 kilometers, the branch is served by 46 trains, the daily passenger flow is 22,000 people (this official figure is obviously too high).
Near the stations of the Subway Sahel line are several important areas for tourists and objects: the airport named after. Habiba Bourguiba (Skanes area, Monastir), hotels in Skanes (Monastir), hotels in the tourist area of Mahdia.
The journey time between Sousse and Monastir is about 30 minutes.
The journey between Monastir and Mahdia is about 60 minutes.
The journey time between Suss and Mahdia is about 1 hour and 45 minutes.
The journey between Suss and Monastir costs 1 Tunisian dinar for an adult passenger and 750 millimeters for a child. The current course of the Tunisian dinar, see our article "The currency of Tunisia ".
The journey between Mahdia and Monastir costs 1.9 Tunisian dinars. The journey between Suss and Mahdia (the whole route) costs 2.5 Tunisian dinars. Tickets look at the photo below, click on the photo to enlarge.
Penalty for a fare is 20 dinars. The controller is in each train. If the ticket office does not work at the plant (this often happens), then you need to approach the controller, he will sell the ticket.
The ticket does not need to be leaning against the turnstiles or validating. Simply buy a ticket at the ticket office, show the controller at the entrance to the platform (if it will be there), then show the controller on the train.
Trains follow every 20-40 minutes, from 6 am to 20 pm. It is not much sense to study the schedule, it's easier to come to the station and wait a bit.
If you still want to see the current schedule, then it can be found using a special application for Android, look for this application by the name "Metro Sahel".
What a branch is useful for tourists
If they flew independently to the airport to them. Habib Bourguiba (Monastir), then on the Metro Sahel it is convenient to get to the hotels in the resorts of Sousse, El Kantaoui , Mahdia.
Hotels in Monastir are near the airport, there is no reason to go by train, it's easier and cheaper to get there by taxi. About prices, read our article " Taxi in Tunisia ." The station is very close to the airport, on the right you can see the airport photo from the train window of Metro Sahel, click on the photo to enlarge.
Tourists from the hotels of the resorts of Sousse, El Kantaoui and Mahdia can quickly and conveniently and cheaply visit Monastir: the mausoleum of Habib Bourguiba, the ribat, the Habib Bourguiba mosque, the medina, the Habib Bourguiba museum.
Tourists from the hotels of Monastir can go to Sousse to see the local sights: the archaeological museum , the medina, the ribat and the great mosque, go to aquaparks Aqua Palace and AquaSplash , amusement park Hannibal.
From Monastir it is convenient to go to Mahdia and see the Black Gate, the archaeological museum, forts.
Of course, tourists from Mahdia can go to Sousse, and tourists from Suss and El Kantaoui can reach Mahdia. But it's quite tiring - to go by train for almost two hours. If you are not sure of your abilities, then we do not recommend such a trip.
If you want to see the city of Moknin, then it's more convenient to go to the Subway Sahel. Organized excursions in Russian are not arranged here, it's very expensive to go by taxi.
- Trains in Tunisia are often late. Or rather, they rarely come on time. Do not be surprised even for 15 minutes late;
- Subway Sahhel trains are half empty, there is no crush, there are always seats and a place to deliver a large baggage. Trains are quiet, it's nice to go. In the photo on the left the train cabin on a weekday, click on the photo to enlarge;
- The entire line is located within the coverage area of the mobile operator Ooredoo. If you buy a SIM of this operator, you can be connected to the Internet all the way. For details, see our articles " Internet in Tunisia " and " How to buy a SIM in Tunisia ";
- Given the low cost of the ticket, we do not recommend explaining to the cashier that a child is traveling with you. It's easier to buy an adult ticket for a child than to talk to the cashier. On your fingers show how many tickets you need;
- The ticket does not specify the class of the car or the place. Sit on any free seat in any train car;
- At the ticket offices of major stations, you can take a booklet with a route and a train schedule. Unfortunately, booklets are rarely available;
- Pay special attention! In the city of Sousse, Subway Sahel trains depart from a separate Gare Metro Bab Jdid station (Gere Metro Bab Jdid), and not from the central railway station. Bab Jdid station is small, in the photo on the right, click on the photo to enlarge;
- In Mahdia, the train arrives at the final station of Gare Mahdia (Gehr Mahdia). After exiting the station, turn right and walk down the street 600 meters, you will reach Skif al-Kahla (Black Gate). You can start sightseeing, you do not have to pay a taxi;
- The beach hotel zone in Mahdia is located near Mahdia tourist-Zone (Mahdia Zi) station. From some hotels to the station you can walk. Or take a taxi, the price is within 2 dinars;
- The beach hotel zone in Monastir is located near the stations of Les Hotels Monastir and Aeroport Skanes Monastir. From some hotels to these stations you can walk. Or take a taxi, the price is within 3 dinars;
- The stations do not announce, there are no electronic bulbs with bulbs, and it is difficult to guess when exactly to go out. If you do not know, then ask the controller, he at least on his fingers will say, after how many minutes there will be a necessary stop;
- At the stations of Sousse, Monastir and Mahdia there are toilets, the visit price is 200 millimeters.
List of stations
Sousse Bab Jadid <> Sousse Mohamed V <> Sousse South <> Aig-L22 <> Sousse Industrial Zone <> Sahline <> Sahline Sebkha <> Hotels Monastir <> Skanes-Monastir airport station <> La Faculte <> Gare Habib Bourguiba Monastir <> Monastir Industrial Zone <> Khniss - Bembla <> Ksiba Bennane <> Bouhjar <> Lamta <> Sayada <> Ksar Hellal Industrial Zone <> Ksar Hellal <> Moknine Gribaa <> Moknine <> Teboulba Industrial Zone <> Teboulba <> Bekalta <> Baghdadi <> Mahdia tourist-Zone <> Sidi Messaoud Simes <> Borj Arif <> Mahdia Ezzahra <> Gare Mahdia.
Successful trips on the Metro Sahel trains, and read our interesting articles about Tunisia ( links below ).
Read about Tunisia on our website