Metro Dubai - prices and scheme
Products for your health and beauty on Aliexpress
Dubai's metro is extremely popular with tourists. It allows you to quickly and cheaply get to the main attractions, shopping centers or popular public beaches of the city.
If you compare with a taxi, then the metro will often take you faster, as in Dubai traffic jams are constantly happening. The Metro wins very much for the price, we'll tell you about the prices for the metro pass in this article, about the prices for trips to the taxi in our article " Prices for taxis in the UAE ."
However, in the Dubai metro tourists are in for a lot of difficulties - confusing tariffs, confusion with the names of stations, problems with the choice of tickets, as well as special wagons. Let's talk about all this in detail.
Metro scheme in Dubai
The whole city of Dubai is divided into 6 zones, the metro stations are only in 4 of these zones - 1, 2, 5, 6. Zone division is used to calculate the cost of travel, as will be discussed in more detail later in this article.
Now in the Dubai subway there are only two branches - red (first) and green (second). Branches intersect at the stations Union (Union) and BurJuman (Burzhaman).
Next to the station names in English, we indicated the transcription in Russian.
We also pointed to the scheme of 18 major attractions of the city of Dubai. See the bottom table for their names and numbers, and on the diagram itself they are shown near the nearest metro stations with blue circles with numbers.
Below is a diagram of the lines and metro stations of Dubai, CLICK to zoom in. To owners of smartphones and tablets, we recommend turning the device horizontally.
If any inscriptions look too small, then use the approach - two fingers on smartphones and tablets, the mouse wheel with the Ctrl (Control) key pressed on the stationary computers.
On some older schemes, station names may be different. In total for the period of existence of the Dubai underground 7 stations have been renamed.
- Jebel Ali station was renamed to UAE Exchange;
- Jebel Ali Industrial station was renamed to Danube;
- The Dubai Marina station is renamed Damac;
- Burj Khalifa station was renamed to Burj Khalifa / Dubai Mall;
- Al Karama station renamed to ADBC;
- Station Khalid Bin Al Waleed renamed BurJuman;
- Station Saeediya renamed to Al Fahidi;
But it is not enough to know the names and location of stations, each subway has its own characteristics, which it is important to talk about in detail.
Working time and intervals
Metro in Dubai works:
- Thursday: the red branch from 5-00 to 1-00 on Friday, the green branch from 5-30 to 1-00 on Friday;
- Friday: red branch from 10-00 to 1-00 Saturday, green branch from 10-00 to 1-00 Saturday;
- Other days: red branch from 5-00 to 24-00, green branch from 5-30 to 24-00.
The intervals of train traffic do not exceed 3.5 minutes. There are also delays in movement, when you have to wait 5 minutes or more.
You need to choose the right car!
In the subway of Dubai, not all cars are the same. There are three types: ordinary (silver), gold and female.
In an ordinary (silver) car, anyone can ride at a standard rate.
Only women and children under 12 can stay in a women's car. A man in such a car can be fined, we will talk in detail about fines in the article below. The standard rate, the level of comfort does not differ from the usual (silver) car. In each train there is one female car.
A female carriage is easy to recognize on the plates with the silhouettes of a woman and a child over the entrances and pink warning signs (in the photo next, click on the photo to enlarge). If you still got into such a car, then immediately you will understand the clearly disapproving glances of women around.
In the gold car ride only paid the tariff "Gold", these are the "first class" carriages. There are large leather seats, armrests, more space between the seats - more legroom. These cars are freer, even during rush hours there is no crush. Any person can buy a trip at the "Gold" rate, you just need to pay a double price tag. About tariffs we will talk further.
Internet access via WiFi is available in all wagons and free of charge.
Types of tickets
In Dubai metro, contactless cards are used for payment, they are called "NOL Card" or "NOL ticket". Such a card can pay not only the metro, but also buses, trams, water buses, ferries and parking in Dubai.
To use the NOL ticket in the subway is easy. At the entrance and exit it is necessary to lean it against the turnstile. When you exit the display will reflect information about the balance of money on the card account (in the case of gold and silver cards).
NOL cards can be purchased at the ticket offices at any subway station and at 7 bus stations in Dubai: Al Gubaiba Bus Station, Jebel Ali Bus Station, Gold Souq Bus Station, Sabkha Bus Station, Airport terminal 1, Airport terminal 2, Airport terminal 3. Ticket offices accept only dirhams, change money in advance, read our article " Currency Exchange in the UAE ."
There are 4 types of tickets: Red (NOL Red), Silver (NOL Silver), Gold (NOL Gold) and Blue (NOL Blue). Each type will be described in detail below.
Prices and tariffs
Tariffs in Dubai subway are complicated. We will try to talk about them as simply as possible and omit some tariffs that are not available for tourists.
- T1 - one-time trip within one zone;
- T2 - one-time trip to the adjacent zone;
- T3 - one-time trip through the zone or further;
- 1day - unlimited use of the metro within one day;
- 7daysT1 - unlimited journey within one zone for 7 days;
- 7daysT2 - unlimited trips within one zone and to the next within 7 days;
- 7daysT3 - unlimited trips for 7 days;
- All these tariffs are available in the form of "Gold" - travel in a gold car, the price is always 2 times higher.
There are travel cards for 30, 90 and 365 days, but they are only available on the NOL Blue card, which can only be issued by residents of the UAE.
Red Ticket (NOL Red Ticket)
It is best for tourists. You buy this ticket for 2 dirhams and immediately pay for the trip (or several). You can pay for a trip at the rate of T1, T2 or T3. The current Dirham course is in our article " Money in the UAE ".
Features of NOL Red:
- After the first use, do not discard the ticket, you can record up to 9 more trips;
- Do not try to use the NOL Red ticket for several people, it will not work. Everyone needs his ticket, otherwise the system will not be released through the turnstile;
- The ticket is valid for 90 days;
- Only in NOL Red is available a rate of 1day (1 day) - unlimited use of the metro during the day;
- Tariffs 7days (7 days) in NOL Red are not available;
- For the NOL Red ticket, you can record a "Gold" trip. For tourists it is very convenient, because you want to ride in a gold car at least once, and buy a Gold ticket (NOL Gold) makes no sense;
- Tariff 1day (1 day) can be bought in the form of "Gold";
- Buy NOL Red and replenish it is possible only in vending machines, which are at each metro station;
- When using the ticket 10 times, it will become invalid, you can take it with you as a souvenir from the UAE .
Below is the table for travel prices for NOL Red:
| Rate || T1 || T2 || T3 || T1 (Gold) || T2 (Gold) || T3 (Gold) || 1day || 1day (Gold) |
| Price, dirhams || 4 || 6th || 8.5 || 8 || 12 || 17th || 20 || 40 |
For tourists this ticket is convenient if you want to go a couple of times to see the sights. If you plan to travel more often, for example, to the beach or shopping centers, it is more profitable and more convenient to buy NOL Silver Card.
Silver ticket (NOL Silver Card)
This is a card with an electronic wallet. You buy a NOL Silver card for 25 dirhams, 19 of them "fall" on the account. The automatic system remembers the input and output station and writes off the desired amount from the electronic purse (it chooses the tariff itself T1, T2 or T3).
Features of NOL Silver:
- The NOL Silver card can be bought and refilled at the ticket offices and vending machines (in the photo on the right, click on the photo to enlarge);
- 7days (7 days) are available on this card - unlimited trips for 7 days;
- Tariff 1day (1 day) is not available;
- Tariffs 30days, 90days and 365days are not available;
- Tariffs "Gold" are not available in any form;
- The NOL Silver card is valid for 5 years. The account can be replenished up to 1000 dirhams;
- You can check the balance at any station near the cash registers. Attach the card to a special device of red color;
- If you do not lean the card at the end of the trip, the trip will be credited at the maximum rate;
- At the exit, the LCD display on the turnstile will show the balance on the card account.
| Rate || T1 || T2 || T3 || 7daysT1 || 7daysT2 || 7daysT3 |
| Price, dirhams || 3 || 5 || 7.5 || 50 || 80 || 110 |
Attentive readers have noticed lower prices for travel in case of using NOL Silver Card. Please note that the ticket itself costs 6 dirhams (against 2 dirhams for red), and already on the 5th trip it pays for itself.
Gold ticket (NOL Gold Card)
According to the principles of work and the rules of use is no different from NOL Silver Card. The only difference is in the passage in the golden cars.
Features of NOL Gold:
- Allows to pass in a gold car in the metro or tram;
- If you are traveling in a transport where there is no Gold-class (for example, in buses), then the fee is debited from the account according to the standard (Silver) tariff.
| Rate || T1 (Gold) || T2 (Gold) || T3 (Gold) || 7daysT1 (Gold) || 7daysT2 (Gold) || 7daysT3 (Gold) |
| Price, dirhams || 6th || 10 || 15 || 100 || 160 || 220 |
If you want more comfortable trips, then take the NOL Gold Card, but do not forget to take into account the high prices in the budget of rest. Read our article " How much money to take in the UAE ".
Blue (NOL Blue Card) and personal tickets
Only available to residents of the UAE. A blue card with a photo of the owner is issued upon application on the RTA website, when registering, you must indicate your UAE ID. All travel for 30 days or more is available only on NOL Blue Card. On this card you can get a discount (50%) for students, elderly and disabled.
The NOL Blue card is personalized. That is, if you lose it you can restore it, money from the account will not be lost. Residents of the UAE can personalize their NOL Silver and NOL Gold cards. A loyalty program is available.
What is prohibited and penalties
The most common unpleasant situation for tourists is when mistakenly and inattention enters the "golden" car. The second common mistake is when men enter a women's car. The penalty in both cases is 100 dirhams.
Attention! The controller is in every train. The inspectors annually write about 10,000 fines for the fare in an incorrect carriage.
Most often for these two violations of tourists are not fined, but are limited to a warning and transplant the passenger to the right car. We do not recommend to count on it and try to drive in the "golden" car for free. The punishment will be determined by the controller, will be in a bad mood, fined.
Some tourists try to pay the fare with a silver ticket and take a gold with them to present to the controller. This "feint with ears" the Dubai Metro administration found in 2012, and since that time the inspectors check tickets not only externally, but also read information about the paid trip from the ticket. Do not do this, the penalty is 200 dirhams.
In the photo next to the salon of the "golden" wagon, click to enlarge. Decide for yourself - is it worth the trip here to risk such a fine?
You can not sleep at stations. The penalty is 300 dirhams.
In the subway of Dubai you can not eat, drink, smoke and even chew gum. The penalty is 100 dirhams.
You can not bring alcohol even in closed form, even in bags. The penalty is 100 dirhams. Moreover, one should not be in the subway drunk, as in any public place in the UAE, as we discussed in the article " Alcohol in the United Arab Emirates ."
Do not sit on the ground for disabled people and pregnant women. Even if there are no such people nearby, one can not sit on these places. The penalty is 100 dirhams.
Be careful with emergency buttons and emergency communication consoles (in the photo next, click to enlarge). For their use without the need for a fine of 2000 dirhams.
You can not put your feet on the seats, spoil and stain wagons and stations, throw garbage, transport animals, make noise and disturb other passengers. For all this, fines of 100 dirhams are foreseen.
And now a fine anecdote from the administration of the Dubai Metro: you can not distract the driver! Recall that the Dubai Metro is fully automatic, the machinist is not here at all. How can it be distracted if it does not exist? We hope, by the time you read this article, they will remove this item from the information booklets.
And, of course, all the general prohibitions and laws of the Arab Emirates operate on the subway, we talked about them in detail in the article " What is not allowed in the Arab Emirates ".
- The Dubai Metro is the only one in the Arab Emirates. Perhaps the subway will appear in Abu Dhabi , but so far the project is frozen, which is not surprising with oil prices at $ 50-60 per barrel;
- Every day the Dubai metro is used by 500,000 people;
- The RTA states that the punctuality of the trains is 99%. If this is so, then this is a world record;
- The total length of the lines: 74.6 kilometers. The Dubai Metro is the world's largest automatic public transport system. In a tense struggle for this title, the Dubai subway was defeated by the Vancouver SkyTrain in Canada;
- The power supply voltage of electric trains is 750 volts. Fortunately, it's impossible to fall on the rails and touch the track rail, as the paths from the platform are separated by a glass fence, and passengers pass through the glass gates to the cars, which open only after the train stops (in the photo on the left, click on the photo to enlarge);
- The total cost of building a subway system in Dubai was to be 15.5 billion dirhams (4.2 billion US dollars). In fact, 28 billion dirhams (7.8 billion US dollars) were spent;
- Construction work started on 05.05.2005, and ended on 09/09/2009. The red line was inaugurated 09.09.2009, green 09/09/2011. In both cases, the ceremony was conducted by Sheikh Mohammed ibn-Rashid Al-Muqtum himself (the ruler of Dubai);
- Dubai Metro is one of the most environmentally friendly in the world. Even the water that the trains wash is reused by 80%;
- About 4000 CCTV cameras are installed in the Dubai metro. "Big Brother looks at you!";
- The total length of the red branch - 52.1 km, green - 22.5 km;
- Design of each of the stations is made on one of five topics: heritage, earth, air, water or fire. Look closely at the design and interior at the stations, you will notice it;
- All wagons and stations are equipped with air conditioning, inside comfortably and in summer in 40-degree heat, and cold evenings in winter. On the weather in Dubai, read our article " Weather and beach season in the UAE ."
In 2011, the Dubai authorities said they were going to actively develop the subway. They planned to build another blue, purple, pink and yellow branches, extend the red branch by 15.5 kilometers and green another 11 kilometers. Even there were rumors about the construction of the subway in Sharjah and Ajman .
But then in 2014 oil prices fell, and these "Napoleonic" plans had to be forgotten. Money was enough only for the opening of all planned stations on already laid roads.
One new branch of the subway is still digging. It will start from the Nakheel Harbor and Tower station and take place about 15 kilometers to the venue of the World Expo 2020. New stations are being built in the areas of Dubai Investment Park, Green Community and Discovery Gardens.
Successful and fast travel to Dubai, and read our articles about the UAE useful to tourists ( links below ).
Products for your health and beauty on Aliexpress
Read about the UAE on our website
Products for your health and beauty on Aliexpress
Do you have a question?
Do you want to express your opinion?
Do you want to add something?
Leave a comment
"At the time of writing this article" - and when is it written?) Write the date at the beginning of the article)
Alexander - GlavRed site
Olya. At the beginning of the article there is information about this. I recommend reading all the articles, books and other sources of information from the beginning, and not from the middle.